Department of Veterans Affairs
‘Putting Veterans First’
John R. Watson Community Resource Center
3434 M-119, Suite D
Harbor Springs, MI 49770
Hours: Mondays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Jeff Urban, Director
Please follow the EMMET COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS FACEBOOK PAGE for news and updates.
Archived Stories and Columns
To access all archived stories about local veterans, click here. Old columns produced by the Veterans Affairs Department can be accessed here.
PODCAST: PREVENTING SUICIDE IN OUR NATION’S HEROES
Posted online at VHA:IE 01/2018: https://soundcloud.com/vaie_podcast/episode-001-preventing-suicide-in-our-nations-heroes. The inaugural episode of VHA:IE features three innovative suicide prevention programs – two from the VA health care system and one from the private sector.
PODCAST: VETERANS AFFAIRS, SERVING THOSE WHO SERVE
Posted online at petoskeynews.com 12/28/2017: There are a number of services available to veterans, and in Emmet County, the Department of Veterans Affairs helps connect those who serve to the services they qualify for. New-Review’s Matt Mikus talks with department director Rick Wiertalla about how he helps veterans in our community.
Assistance Provided for:
- Service Connected Compensation
- Non-Service Connected Pension
- VA Health Care Enrollment
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Life Insurance Services
- GI Insurance Benefits
- Dependents and Survivors Benefits
- Widows Pension
- Burial Benefits
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
- Housebound Aid and Attendance Services
- VA Civilian Health and Medical Program CHAMPVA
- Limited, emergent financial assistance to qualified veterans and their immediate families
- Assistance with debt management center issues
- Educational Benefits
- Certificates of Eligibility for Home Loans
- Commissary and Exchange Privileges
- Correction of Military Records
- Application for Medals and Military Records
- DD214 (Military Discharge)
- Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment
Resources for Veterans:
The national Web site for VA services: www.va.gov
A summary of Veterans Affairs Benefits (PDF)
Information about accredited colleges for veterans
For information on the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act or the G.I. Bill, and to learn about accredited college options for veterans, visit this link: www.AccreditedOnlinecolleges.org
Specific veterans’ information can be found in a college guide for U.S. service members, at this link: http://www.accreditedcolleges.com/college-guide-us-service-members/