Department of Veterans Affairs
‘Putting Veterans First’
John R. Watson Community Resource Center
3434 M-119, Suite D
Harbor Springs, MI 49770
Hours: Mondays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Rick Wiertalla, Director
Jeff Urban, VA Assistant
Next Veterans Affairs Committee meeting will be Tuesday, May 14, 2019, at 3:30 p.m. in the Conference Room, 3434 M119, Harbor Springs. Agendas posted here.
Please follow the EMMET COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS FACEBOOK PAGE for news and updates.
Archived Stories and Columns
PODCAST: PREVENTING SUICIDE IN OUR NATION’S HEROES
Posted online at VHA:IE 01/2018: https://soundcloud.com/vaie_podcast/episode-001-preventing-suicide-in-our-nations-heroes. The inaugural episode of VHA:IE features three innovative suicide prevention programs – two from the VA health care system and one from the private sector.
PODCAST: VETERANS AFFAIRS, SERVING THOSE WHO SERVE
Posted online at petoskeynews.com 12/28/2017: There are a number of services available to veterans, and in Emmet County, the Department of Veterans Affairs helps connect those who serve to the services they qualify for. New-Review’s Matt Mikus talks with department director Rick Wiertalla about how he helps veterans in our community.
Assistance Provided for:
- Service Connected Compensation
- Non-Service Connected Pension
- VA Health Care Enrollment
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Life Insurance Services
- GI Insurance Benefits
- Dependents and Survivors Benefits
- Widows Pension
- Burial Benefits
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
- Housebound Aid and Attendance Services
- VA Civilian Health and Medical Program CHAMPVA
- Limited, emergent financial assistance to qualified veterans and their immediate families
- Assistance with debt management center issues
- Educational Benefits
- Certificates of Eligibility for Home Loans
- Commissary and Exchange Privileges
- Correction of Military Records
- Application for Medals and Military Records
- DD214 (Military Discharge)
- Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment
Resources for Veterans:
The national Web site for VA services: www.va.gov
Information about accredited colleges for veterans
For information on the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act or the G.I. Bill, and to learn about accredited college options for veterans, visit this link: www.AccreditedOnlinecolleges.org
Specific veterans’ information can be found in a college guide for U.S. service members, at this link: http://www.accreditedcolleges.com/college-guide-us-service-members/