Department of Veterans Affairs
‘Putting Veterans First’
John R. Watson Community Resource Center
3434 M-119, Suite D
Harbor Springs, MI 49770
Hours: Mondays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
NOTICE OF UPCOMING VETERANS AFFAIRS COMMITTEE MEETING
The Emmet County Veterans Affairs Committee will hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 30, at 4 p.m. using the virtual meeting platform Zoom. In an effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, all board members will be attending via remotely. (Click here for board members’ contact information.) Those wishing to attend the meeting may call in and join with a smartphone, tablet or computer using the information below. To view the current agenda (when available) and archived meeting minutes, visit the Veterans Affairs website section.
Zoom Meeting Link: Emmet County Veterans Affairs Committee Meeting
Date/Time: Tuesday, March 30, at 4 p.m.
Meeting ID: 839 9947 5353
Phone number: 312-626-6799
Rick Wiertalla, Director
Jeff Urban, VA Assistant
Please follow the EMMET COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS FACEBOOK PAGE for news and updates.
Archived Stories and Columns
PODCAST: PREVENTING SUICIDE IN OUR NATION’S HEROES
Posted online at VHA:IE 01/2018: https://soundcloud.com/vaie_podcast/episode-001-preventing-suicide-in-our-nations-heroes. The inaugural episode of VHA:IE features three innovative suicide prevention programs – two from the VA health care system and one from the private sector.
PODCAST: VETERANS AFFAIRS, SERVING THOSE WHO SERVE
Posted online at petoskeynews.com 12/28/2017: There are a number of services available to veterans, and in Emmet County, the Department of Veterans Affairs helps connect those who serve to the services they qualify for. New-Review’s Matt Mikus talks with department director Rick Wiertalla about how he helps veterans in our community.
Assistance Provided for:
- Service Connected Compensation
- Non-Service Connected Pension
- VA Health Care Enrollment
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Life Insurance Services
- GI Insurance Benefits
- Dependents and Survivors Benefits
- Widows Pension
- Burial Benefits
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
- Housebound Aid and Attendance Services
- VA Civilian Health and Medical Program CHAMPVA
- Limited, emergent financial assistance to qualified veterans and their immediate families
- Assistance with debt management center issues
- Educational Benefits
- Certificates of Eligibility for Home Loans
- Commissary and Exchange Privileges
- Correction of Military Records
- Application for Medals and Military Records
- DD214 (Military Discharge)
- Automobile and Special Adaptive Equipment
Resources for Veterans:
The national Web site for VA services: www.va.gov
Information about accredited colleges for veterans
For information on the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act or the G.I. Bill, and to learn about accredited college options for veterans, visit this link: www.AccreditedOnlinecolleges.org
Specific veterans’ information can be found in a college guide for U.S. service members, at this link: http://www.accreditedcolleges.com/college-guide-us-service-members/