Marriage License Application & Records
A marriage record may be purchased by anyone. Click here to review the Marriage Record Index (Records from 1860 to present) first to determine if Emmet County has the marriage record on file.
If you wish to purchase a certified copy of the record by mail, follow the instructions on the Marriage Record Application.
Application for Certified Copy of a Marriage Record
How to Obtain a Marriage License in Emmet County
- You must apply for a marriage license in the county where you reside. If both parties are from out-of-state you must apply in the county where the marriage will take place.
- If one or both of the parties is a resident of Emmet County, you can apply in Emmet County and then be married anywhere in Michigan.
A fillable Marriage License Application is available below. It may be completed and e-mailed back to [email protected] The Marriage License will be prepared and one or both parties will need to appear at the County Clerk’s Office with the necessary identification and to sign the Marriage License Application.
Emmet County Resident: $20.00
Out-of-State Resident: $30.00
- Valid Drivers License with correct address OR Valid State Identification Card with correct address
- Birth Certificate OR Valid passport
- Full name of both parties
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Address including name of county
- Number of times previously married
- Both parents full names including mother’s maiden name
- Parents place of birth
- Social Security Number
- There is a three day waiting period after the application is completed before you can pick up and use your marriage license.
- Your marriage license must be used within thirty-three (33) days from the date of application.
- The waiting period may be waived by the County Clerk for good and sufficient cause.
CERTIFICATE OF MARRIAGE:
- Two witnesses are required. Michigan law requires that witnesses must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both copies of the Certificate must be completed, printed in black ink or typewritten, by an officiant authorized by the State of Michigan to perform marriages.
- Both Parties must sign the license using their married names.
- The original Certificate must be returned to the County Clerk’s office within ten (10) days of the ceremony.
The Emmet County Clerk’s Office complies with the Identity Theft Protection Act 452 of 2004