Business Registration & Dissolution in Emmet County
Michigan law requires that individuals who operate, or intend to operate a business under an assumed name, must be 18 years of age and must file a Certificate of Assumed Name (also known as a DBA), with the County Clerk in the county where the business is located. The Certificate is valid for 5 years.
There are two types of registration at the county level.
- An Assumed name consists of one or more parties. It is the more binding of the types as, all parties listed must sign the papers in front of a Notary and no changes can be made without the signatures of all parties involved.
- A Co-Partnership is two or more parties, but may be dissolved or changed by the signature of any party.
The County Clerk has discretionary authority to reject any name that is similar to one already on file, or similar to one previously filed.
- Registration of an Assumed Name $10.00
- Registration of a Co-Partnership $10.00
- Certified copy of an Assumed Name Document $ 2.00
- Certified copy of a Co-Partnership $ 2.00
You may fill out the Business Registration Certificate prior to filing it with the Clerk’s Office. However, do not sign the form until you present it to one of the Deputy Clerk’s at the Clerk’s Office.
For more information, please refer to Act 101 of 1907 Section 445.1 and 445.2, which can be found at www.legislature.mi.gov
DISSOLUTION OF ASSUMED NAME OR CO-PARTNERSHIP
A Certificate of Assumed Name or Co-Partnership can only be amended when there is a change in the composition of the partners. If anything else on the certificate is to be changed, the certificate must be dissolved, and a new certificate must be filed. The Dissolution is also used when a business ceases operation.
The Emmet County Clerk’s Office requires the permission and signature of all parties listed on the certificate before filing a Dissolution.
For more information, please refer to Act 101 of 1907 Section 445.2b, which can be found at www.legislature.mi.gov
CHANGE OF ADDRESS & DISSOLUTION FEES
- Dissolution of Assumed Name or Co-Partnership Fee $10.00
- Change of Address Fee $20.00
- In order to change the address of a DBA or Co-Partnership, the existing DBA or Co-Partnership must first be dissolved and then reapplied for. There is a $10.00 filing fee for each form.
For more information, please contact either of the following offices:
Michigan Department of Commerce
Corporation & Securities Bureau
6546 Merchantile Way