Request an accident or incident report

If you are interested in obtaining a copy of a police report please follow the appropriate procedure based on the type of report:

Accident Report:

If you need a copy of your accident report for your insurance company there are a few options to obtain the report.

  1. You can stop by the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office Road Patrol building at 3460 M-119 Harbor Springs MI 49740. Accident reports cost $2.
  2. You can mail $2 cash or check and a self-addressed stamped envelope to 3460 M-119 Harbor Springs MI 49740.

If the accident is less than 30 days old you will need to print out the following form: Accident Report Request. You will need to fill out the form and send it in along with a copy of your driver’s license.

  1. You can click on the attached link and request a copy from the State of Michigan:

This will only work once the report has been completed and submitted to the state. (Private property accidents, property damage accidents that do not total more than $1,000 worth of damage, parking lot accidents are not reported to the state. You will need to request these types of accidents from the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office directly.)

Accident Report Request


Incident Report:

If you need a copy of any other type of report or the incident report for an accident you will need to submit a Freedom of Information Act Request (FOIA) form. Please click on the link for instructions on how to complete the FOIA process:

Civil Counsel FOIA information


Emmet County, Michigan
200 Division Street, Petoskey MI 49770
(231) 348-1700 | Contact Us