Animal Control

Call 911 for all Animal Control complaints and to get officer assistance.

Animal Control Officer follow up on reported complaints and questions: 231-439-8900.

About animal control:  State law mandates that all dogs must be licensed in their county of residence and have current rabies vaccinations. It also states that all dogs off of the owners property must be on a leash except while hunting.

Emmet County currently has one Officer in the full time position as Animal Control Officer. His responsibilities include but are not limited to: animal bite complaints, stray dog complaints, wild dog complaints, kennel inspections, cruelty to animal complaints, among other related animal complaints.

For nuisance live trapping and wildlife removal, seek information in the yellow pages or online under “pest control” for assistance.

People who want to surrender their pets must go to the Little Traverse Bay Humane Society on West Conway Road.

The Emmet County Sheriff’s Department has been involved in Animal Control duties since 1976.

Animal Control Ordinance

Looking For a Lost Pet?

Places to look:

Emmet County Stray Center

Emmet County Stray Center 
Location: The Bay Area Pet Resort
4039 Charlevoix Ave. (next to Jensen’s Animal Hospital)

Little Traverse Bay Humane Society
1300 West Conway Road
Harbor Springs, MI 49740
(231) 347-2396



Frequently Asked Questions about Animal Control:

Q: Do you handle wild life removal complaints?
A: No. Please contact a local wildlife management and nuisance removal company in your local yellow pages.

Q: Do you handle cat complaints?
A: No. There are no state laws or local county ordinances that govern cats.

Q: I have been bitten by a dog. What should I do?
A: Go to your health care provider or local emergency room.

Q: Where do I go to get a dog license?
A: If you are an Emmet County resident bring your proof of rabies vaccination to the Emmet County Treasurer’s Office to purchase a dog license. If you are a resident of another county contact your local animal control office for instructions.

Q: How much does a dog license cost?
A: If your dog is spayed or neutered it is $10 a year per license. If your dog has not been spayed or neutered it is $20 a year per license.

Q: What are the hours for animal control?
A: The Animal Control Deputy works Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. If you have an emergency call 9-1-1 and a Road Deputy can handle the complaint. If it is not considered an emergency the Animal Control Deputy will handle it the next business day.

Emmet County, Michigan
200 Division Street, Petoskey MI 49770
(231) 348-1700 | Contact Us