Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
200 Division St., Suite G42
Petoskey, MI 49770
Phone: (231) 348-1725
Fax: (231) 348-0686
MESSAGE FROM THE PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE CONCERNING COVID
The Prosecutor’s Office is open and operating for business as usual. All phone calls will be answered during normal business hours at (231) 348-1725 with voicemails being returned on our next business day.
Please continue to use electronic means for providing paperwork. The general office email is [email protected]. Please use that email address as much as possible to insure everything is handled quickly and efficiently.
James R. Linderman, Prosecuting Attorney
University of Minnesota Law School, Indiana University MBA
Meet the Staff
Michael Schuitema, Chief Assistant Prosecutor
University of Virginia School of Law
E. Michael McNamara, Assistant Prosecutor
Cooley Law School
Jennifer M. Boyer, Office Manager
Katelyn P. Morse, Crime Victim Advocate/Witness Coordinator
Courtney A. Blumke, Child Support Specialist
Corinne M. Koury, Legal Secretary
Emily K. Britton, Legal Secretary
Ashley Williams, Receptionist / Part-time Victim Advocate / Float
This web site is dedicated to giving you, the citizens of Emmet County, general information about the prosecutor’s office, its staff, the criminal justice system, and the role that the prosecutor plays in county government. You will also find links to other sites related to the criminal justice field. If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office at 231.348.1725.
The Prosecuting Attorney is an elected official with a four year term of office, as provided in the Michigan Constitution. Elections occur at the time of the presidential election, on the partisan ballot. The elected county Prosecuting Attorney is independent of the Michigan Attorney General.
The Prosecuting Attorney’s office is responsible for a wide array of legal functions for the county.
The state legislature has created over 250 duties for the prosecutor, including the following:
- Chief law enforcement official in the county
- Reviews, authorizes, and prosecutes violations of felony and misdemeanor criminal laws of the State of Michigan and county ordinances committed in the county
- Reviews, authorizes and prosecutes felony and misdemeanor juvenile delinquency offenses
- Reviews, authorizes and prosecutes child protective proceedings in the Family Court where there are allegations of child neglect and/or abuse, including termination of parental rights
- Represents the “People of the State of Michigan” in criminal matters in the District, Circuit and Family Courts as well as appeals of cases to the Michigan Court of Appeals and Supreme Court
- May prosecute contempt proceedings when there has been a violation of a Personal Protection Order (PPO)
- Participates on behalf of the petitioner in mental health commitment hearings
- Provides assistance and input to the victims of serious criminal offenses
- May represent and gives advice to the county board of commissioners and other county departments on legal matters
- Presides at monthly Concealed Weapons Licensing Board (“Gun Board”) meetings
- Reviews, authorizes and prosecutes civil actions to obtain financial support for children