County Looking to Fill Open Committee Seats

    Local governments are always seeking the assistance of their residents to provide community input and direction on various boards and committees. Emmet County residents interested in participating in local government might consider applying to fill one of the committee positions currently open. Most boards and committees provide for a small amount of compensation in the form of a per diem and/or mileage.
    County officials are seeking qualified applicants to fill one opening on the Advisory Committee on Aging. The committee accepts proposals from various providers of services to senior citizens, interviews applicants, evaluates the programs and makes recommendations to the Board of Commissioners on how senior millage funds are disbursed. The committee meets annually in late July or early August then establishes meeting times and schedules interviews for applicants. Committee members are appointed for three-year terms.
    Three openings currently exist on the Community Corrections Advisory Committee. The advisory board is required by state law in order to apply for grants and other funding. The committee provides structure for the implementation of any funding received and by statute must include specific members. Currently, the committee consists of the county sheriff, judges from each of Emmet County’s three courts, the county prosecuting attorney, and representatives from city police, city council, and probation/parole, and area service agencies.
Positions on the Community Corrections Advisory Committee currently needed to fulfill the statute include a criminal defense attorney, a member representing communications/media, and one member representing the public. Committee members serve three-year terms.
    The Construction Resource Committee is in need of a plumbing contractor to fill a position on its board. The contractor does not have to live in Emmet County, but must perform work in the county. The committee is led by the Emmet County Building Official along with members of the building trades including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and building construction, serving three-year terms. The committee assists and reviews hiring practices, helps open lines of communication between Emmet County officials and residents, helps determine how the Building Department can better address the concerns of the public, and determines how the county building codes are enforced.
    One opening also needs filled on the Northern Michigan Regional Entity (NMRE), one of 10 Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans (PIHPs) in the State of Michigan. The board manages the behavioral health services for people enrolled in Medicaid. The committee is not a county board, but the Board of Commissioners is required to appoint a representative for a three-year term. More information about the NMRE can be found on its website at
    Throughout the year, the Board of Commissioners makes appointments to the various boards and committees. There may be one or more appointments each year to these groups and applications stay on file for two years. To see a full listing of these committees and to download an application, please go to For more information about any of the committee openings, please contact Emmet County Clerk Suzanne Kanine at (231) 348-1744 or email [email protected].
    Kanine has also requested that the County let the public know of an important opening in a township that can affect the operations of the County Clerk’s office, especially in the conduct of elections. Center Township is seeking a township resident to fill the position of township clerk, an elected office. No candidates filed to run for that position in the upcoming election and it is now up to the township to appoint someone to fill the role. The position receives a salary and pension. Duties include maintaining custody of all township records and general ledger, preparing checks and paying bills, recording and maintaining meeting minutes, keeping the township book of oaths and ordinance book, conducting elections and keeping a voter registration file, and preparing financial statements. The clerk will also chair the township election commission and appoint a deputy clerk. Contact current township clerk Susan St. Amour at (231) 539-7637 for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Emmet County, Michigan
200 Division Street, Petoskey MI 49770
(231) 348-1702 | Contact Us