Case Investigator | Friend of the Court
POSITION: Case Investigator
SUPERVISOR: Friend of the Court
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
RATE OF PAY: $25.38 – $26.88
LOCATION: County Building
At Emmet County, we are a diverse group of team members who possess a friendly disposition, attention to detail and an unwavering dedication to providing outstanding services to our constituents. Understanding that our team members are our most valuable asset, Emmet County is committed to providing the best experience and working environment any team member can imagine.
Under the direction of the Friend of the Court, performs a variety of investigative and enforcement activities in domestic relations cases.
- Handle a caseload of approximately 500
- Act as contact person for clients on caseload
- Enforce parenting time and custody orders as required by statute
- Conduct support investigations and reviews
- Monitor support orders for timely enforcement
- Locate missing payers and/or employers as necessary to enforce support orders
- Review court orders of support and prepare modifications to the orders as appropriate per statute
- Prepare show cause motions, orders, and bench warrants as necessary
- Present cases at court hearings
- Participate in client education
- Communicate with outside agencies and community partners
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS
High degree of professionalism, team oriented, adaptable, and self-motivated, strong work ethic, and a desire to serve the public with respect, empathy, self-awareness, integrity and patience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Investigative skills, analytical skills, active listening skills, rapport building skills, problem solving skills, conflict resolution skills, de-escalation skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to read a computer screen for extended periods of time, ability to read and understand court and financial documents, knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft programs, knowledge of use of general office equipment.
Bachelor of Social Work or other related human services degree. 1 year of Friend of the Court or other relevant court experience preferred.