DPW Attendant (No CDL)
TITLE: DPW Attendant
DEPARTMENT: Department of Public Works
RATE of PAY: $18.59/hr
LOCATION: Emmet County’s Transfer Station and Recycle Drop-off Center is located at 7363 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs, Michigan.
To fully participate in the operations of the Department of Public Works as directed by the Drop-off Center Superintendent. Primary functions include providing excellent customer service while operating solid waste compactor, switching trailers, tip wall recycle materials maintenance, compost operations, recycle processing equipment, general equipment operation, and gatehouse attendant.
Essential Job Functions:
- Tend to transfer station customers: estimate solid waste volume, assist customers, operate solid waste compactors and recycle balers, load mulch and compost, maintains tip wall/white shed of recyclables and compost operations, and answer questions regarding DPW operations. Perform all tasks with safety, cleanliness and customer service in mind.
- Operate and maintain public works equipment including solid waste compactors and recycle balers, skid steer, forklift, yard mule, pay-loader, and recycle trucks, keeping machinery in good order and safe for operation.
- Direct traffic on grounds to maintain safe and efficient operations, and to encourage resource recovery. Keep the transfer station and surrounding area clean; perform grounds work.
- Acts as Gatehouse Attendant. Assess and collect disposal fees, operate computerized cash register, follow County cash handling procedures.
- Estimate yardage and record weights of recyclable materials.
- Manage the recycle barn and bulky recyclables, stack bales, and have an understanding of the recycle sort lines in order to fill in in the absence of a Recycle Operator.
- Answer questions from residents and businesses, and maintain positive public image while promoting the mission and vision of the Emmet County DPW.
- For all job functions appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) must to be worn and all safety protocol followed.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
As directed by Drop-off Center Superintendent. All job functions to be performed with all safety considerations.
Communicate with customers and businesses.
Understand your co-workers’ assigned responsibilities.
Courteous to the public, positive attitude, team player, calm under stressful conditions, problem solver, accountability, flexibility, creativity, passion, hardworking, dependable, quick thinker, honest, punctual.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to operate pay loaders, yard mule, skid steers, forklifts, solid waste compactors, computerized cash register, assorted tools.
- Ability to learn to operate specialized recycling equipment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with employees and the general public.
- Must be able to operate a computerized cash register and perform mathematical computations.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Must be able to observe all safety requirements and use good sense.
- Must be able to perform bending, lifting, and handling materials, and other physically demanding labor.
- Must be able to follow County’s cash handling procedures and computerized cash handling.
- Mechanical skills a plus.
Education & Experience:
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have good reading, writing, mathematical, and communication skills.
Cash handling experience is a plus.
Prior experience working with and around heavy equipment is a plus.
Must be 18 years or older.