* PARKS GROUNDS MAINTENANCE (seasonal)
POSITION: Parks Grounds Maintenance (seasonal)
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation Department
SUPERVISOR: Parks & Recreation leadership
LOCATION: Emmet County parks
RATE OF PAY: $16.00 – $19.00 (depending on position and experience)
END-OF-SEASON BONUS: Seasonal staff, who meet the criteria for attendance and job performance, will qualify for a bonus based on seasonal hours worked
Responsible for landscaping, gardening and lawn maintenance at Emmet County’s parks.
• Mows the lawns, prune the bushes and trees, edge the sidewalks and give the grounds a manicured look.
• Take on special landscaping or planting projects as deemed necessary
• Collaborate with the maintenance team to make sure the grounds and the buildings are maintained appropriately.
• Performs regular maintenance and minor repairs on the lawn equipment and tools.
• Waters and fertilize the lawns and gardens as needed.
• As needed performs general cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings to prepare for special events.
• Uses hand and power tools in making minor maintenance repairs.
• Performs minor carpentry, painting and maintenance work.
• Follows all applicable safety rules and procedures.
• Participate in building coverage by working evenings and Saturday rotation as required.
• Performs other duties as required to maintain the buildings, equipment and grounds in clean, orderly, and working conditions.
• Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed oral or written instructions.
• Ability to relate to officials, staff and public in a courteous manner.
• Must be reliable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Requires the ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work most lawn and garden tools including mowers, weed whips and trimmers.
• Ability to work occasionally in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold and rain.
• Skilled in being able to shift quickly and multi-task based on changing facility needs.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• 2 years of groundskeeping/maintenance experience preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.