* HEADLANDS DARK SKY PARK ASTRONOMER (seasonal)
POSITION: Headlands Dark Sky Park Astronomer (seasonal)
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation Department
SUPERVISOR: Headlands Park Manager
LOCATION: Headlands International Dark Sky Park
RATE OF PAY: $16.00 – $19.00 (depending on position and experience)
END-OF-SEASON BONUS: Seasonal staff, who meet the criteria for attendance and job performance, will qualify for a bonus based on seasonal hours worked
The Headlands has been a designated International Dark Sky Park since 2011. The park is open 24/7, every day of the year. This position consists of operating various telescopes, public speaking, and communicating with the general public while giving guided tours of the sky on clear nights.
• Provide guided telescope viewing and constellation identification to the public on clear nights.
• Communicate in an instructive, informative, and kind manner with guests.
• Maintain cleanliness of observatory and telescope equipment.
• Work with volunteer docents to be sure every observing night is scheduled and fully staffed.
• Continue to be a steward of the night and sharing the importance of protecting the night from artificial light.
• Must have a flexible schedule, be available to work late nights, along with every clear night during the summer months.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
Self-motivated, task oriented, honest, physically able to handle duties and responsibilities.
• Operate 20” PlaneWave telescope inside the observatory, in addition to the 6” Takahashi solar Scope.
• Capture images of the night sky of your choosing.
• Create programming that matches your strengths.
• Continue your own personal research with the use of our equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Great communication skills
• Ability to lift, bend, reach without assistance
• Able to perform a variety of tasks
• Current college student or college graduate preferred.
• Astrophotography experience preferred, but not required.
• Writing experience preferred, but not required.
• Professional speaking experience preferred, but not required.
• Teaching experience preferred, but not required.
• Customer service experience
• Driver’s License
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.