PUBLIC WORKS DRIVER & ATTENDANT
POSITION: Public Works Driver & Attendant
SUPERVISOR: Transfer Station & Recycling Operations Manager
LOCATION: Emmet County Recycling, Composting, and Waste Transfer Station (7363 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs)
GRADE & STEP: United Steelworkers
RATE OF PAY: $17.92 per hour
To fully participate in the operations of the Department of Public Works as directed by the Transfer Station & Recycling Manager. Primary functions include Curbside & Drop-off Site Recycling Collection, Gatehouse duties, equipment operation (trucks, pay loaders, compactors, etc.), customer service, and maintenance.
• Drive a stand up right-hand drive Curbside Recycling truck on designated routes, service recycling bins and carts, sort recyclables into truck compartments, operate truck safely, answer questions from residents and businesses, maintain positive public image. Make decisions regarding driving and safety in all weather conditions.
• Tend to transfer station customers: estimate solid waste volume, assess and collect disposal fees, assist customers, operate computerized cash register, operate solid waste compactors, and answer questions regarding DPW operations. Perform all tasks with safety in mind.
• Operate and maintain public works equipment including compactors, forklift, yard mule, pay-loader, and recycle trucks, and trash compactors keep machinery in good order and safe for operation.
• Direct traffic on grounds to maintain safe and efficient operations, and to encourage resource recovery. Keep the transfer station and surrounding area clean, perform grounds work.
• Drive Recycle Hook-lift truck to service recycle drop-sites in all weather conditions. Operate hook-lift in safe manner. Assist in drop-site and container maintenance. Unload compartments at Recycle Facility. Estimate yardage and record weights of recyclable materials.
• For all job functions appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) must to be worn and all safety protocol followed.
• Other tasks/duties as directed by DOC Manager. All job functions to be performed with all safety considerations.
• Maintain familiarity with each curbside and drop site route as well as understanding your co-workers’ assigned responsibilities.
• Communicate with customers and businesses.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
Courteous to the public, excellent customer service, positive attitude, team player, communication, accountability, flexibility, creativity, passion, hardworking, ambitious, quick thinker, honest, punctual.
Emmet County’s Transfer Station and Recycle Facility are located at 7363 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs, Michigan. Recycle truck routes run within Emmet County’s borders and contracted neighboring counties. Delivery of recyclables to market may extend beyond Emmet County’s borders.
Trucks and trailers, pay loaders, yard mule, skid steers, forklifts, compactors, densifiers, feed and sort conveyors, computerized cash register, assorted maintenance and repair tools.
• Outdoor physically demanding work in all weather conditions.
• Bending and lifting and sorting totes and carts.
• Work can be noisy, dusty, and smelly.
• May require working on the weekend.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Must be able to communicate effectively with employees and the general public.
• Must be able to follow a route map, operate a computerized cash register, and perform mathematical computations.
• Must be able to observe all safety requirements and use good sense.
• Must have a valid Certified Driver’s License (Class B) and good driving record.
• Mechanical skills a plus.
• Must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have good reading, writing, mathematical, and communication skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.