MICHIGAN CERTIFIED ASSESSING OFFICER (MCAO)
POSITION: MICHIGAN CERTIFIED ASSESSING OFFICER (MCAO) – MCAT (Michigan Certified Assessing Technician considered)
*Training opportunity for the right candidate
LOCATION: Emmet County Building, downtown Petoskey
GRADE & STEP: United Steelworkers
RATE OF PAY: Union wage scale
• Analyzes data and prepares required reports.
• Performs support functions as necessary to complete the equalization process.
• Enter assessment roll changes into BS&A data base such as MTT Michigan Tax Tribunal, BOR Board of Review and PRE Personal Resident Exemptions.
• Coordinates and develops various reports required in the Equalization process.
• Provides assistance to local Assessors regarding assessment roll preparation and balancing.
• Processes assessment change notices and personal property statements.
• Provides customer assistance to the general public both in person and on the phone.
• • Performs on-site inspections of land and buildings, measures and compiles data for appraisal of property.
• Confers with property owners and other relevant parties regarding property information for appraisals.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Deal tactfully and courteously with the public, local Assessors and County Departments.
• Communicate effectively at all levels and in a variety of media.
• Work productively under pressure.
• Interpret and explain department policies and procedures.
• Solve problems within the scope of responsibility.
• Well-organized and detail-oriented.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the Michigan Equalization process, Michigan General Property Tax Laws and assessment administration terminology.
• Knowledge of BS&A Equalizer Software and Apex Software, Excel and Word preferred.
• Knowledge of Emmet County Interactive Mapping Program.
• Ability to Interpret complex legal descriptions.
• The ability to perform mathematical computations, compiles statistics and processes various required reports.
• Knowledge of building construction components.
• Ability to interpret and explain policies and procedures.
• High School graduate or the equivalent with advance course work in assessment administration and property appraisal is preferred. Michigan Certified Assessing Officer (MCAO) certification.
• Experience in an Equalization or Assessors office is preferable.
• Michigan Certified Assessing Officer (MCAO) Certification or MCAT (Michigan Certified Assessing Technician) considered.
• Valid Michigan Driver’s License.
The statements contained in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed.