PROBATE COURT IN-HOME CARE WORKER
POSITION: In-Home Care Worker
DEPARTMENT: Probate Court
SUPERVISOR: Probate Court Judge, Probate Court Administrator
LOCATION: Emmet County Building, downtown Petoskey
RATE OF PAY: $25.65/hour – $27.03/hour (depending on qualifications and experience)
Assists juveniles and their families in completing and complying with probation terms and orders. Provides counseling, interventions, and coordination of services in an effort to keep abused, neglected, and delinquent youth in their homes as opposed to out-of-home placements. Responsibilities must be performed in a manner that considers the safety of the juvenile, the community, and others.
• Counsels juveniles and families to identify and confront problems and work toward solutions. Coordinates community support services as needed. Routinely encounters highly-charged emotional situations with the potential of physical risks.
• Investigates background of juveniles and families to identify reasons for problems and to develop goals and objective for change.
• Consults regularly with juveniles and their families (minimum of once per week face-to-face contact), school, police, therapists, community agencies, and other professionals to monitor progress of the juvenile and their families. Contacts may occur in the juvenile’s home, school, appointments, or community services. This may also involve attending school meetings such as IEPC or behavior plan meetings.
• Screens juveniles and family members as required. This may be during nighttime and/or weekend hours.
• Facilitates and monitors groups during or after work hours. This may include completing certification requirements.
• Assists at the court school, Lakeview Academy, as needed. This may include searches, groups, attending an off-campus activity, and covering a classroom, lunchroom or transition room.
• Transports juveniles to and from home, school, appointments, etc. as required.
• Documents necessary information through ongoing case notes and records; completes reports to meet the state and in-home care requirements.
• Participates in court hearings.
• Investigates and arranges juvenile placements.
• Creates court reports for various hearings.
• Represents juvenile court to area groups to promote awareness and provide information about juvenile court programs and juvenile issues, as requested.
• Attends seminars and meetings to stay current on juvenile law and new and innovative intervention techniques for juveniles and families. Attends trainings as needed.
• Attends activities with juveniles such as Camp Daggett, community service sites, physical activities, and hiking/camping.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in highly explosive situations.
• Ability to de-escalate potential volatile situations.
• Flexibility in dealing with individual personalities and stressful situations.
• Demonstrate genuine caring and a positive attitude toward juveniles.
• Ability to be flexible in your daily scheduling as situations change daily.
• Ability to maintain your own level of stress in a healthy manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the Michigan Juvenile Code and the Michigan Court Rules.
• Familiarity with substance abuse, mental health, and other challenges for teenagers.
• Well-organized to managed time effectively with the flexibility to adapt to emergencies.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to be discreet with confidential case information.
• Bachelor’s degree in social work, criminal justice, psychology, or related filed.
• Juvenile probation experience preferred.
• Must be willing to comply with the Model Code of Conduct for Michigan Trial Court Employees.
• Must have or be willing to obtain Michigan In-Home Care Worker certification.
• Must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.