PELLSTON REGIONAL AIRPORT DIRECTOR / MANAGER
POSITION: Pellston Regional Airport Director / Manager
SUPERVISOR: County Administrator
LOCATION: Pellston Regional Airport
RATE OF PAY: $74,087 – $88,946 annually (depending on qualifications and experience)
Michigan Bureau of Aeronautics and the Federal Aviation Administration require a Certified Airport Manager / Director.
ABOUT THE AREA:
Land in the middle of all the best northern Michigan has to offer with a position at Emmet County’s Pellston Regional Airport. When you walk out of our unique, lodge-themed airport terminal, you’ll find some of the state’s most popular vacation spots within 25 miles in any direction. To the north is Mackinaw City and beautiful Mackinac Island. Or, go south and enjoy Little Traverse Bay’s upscale, coastal resort towns of Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and Bay Harbor. Only minutes from the airport you’ll find numerous parks, lakes, beaches, ski lodges, golf courses, nature reserves, and miles of trails for cyclists, hikers, snowmobilers, and photographers. The county has a state-of the art hospital, exceptional school systems, and a top-notch community college. Local groups embrace and promote art, music, and the natural environment with festivals and special events held throughout the year. With a longer Lake Michigan shoreline than any other county, our residents take in gorgeous views and over 50 miles of the dark-sky coast all year-round. If you love million-dollar sunsets and experiencing all four seasons of the year, Emmet County is sure to be the perfect fit for you to live, work, and play!
This position is responsible for providing administrative and operational oversight for the daily operations of the Pellston Regional Airport including marketing, business development, aviation operations, budgeting and financial management, along with Facility Management that includes maintenance and project management roles.
• Ensures compliance with all federal, state and county rules, policies and regulations regarding airport operations. Ensures oversight and responsibility for adherence to and compliance with to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regulations, FAA Advisory Circulars, any other regulations or mandates as required by non-FAA agencies. Is responsible for any airport related Emmet County Ordinances, Airport Minimum Standards for Commercial Operation policy & procedures, and Airport Rules and Regulations.
• The Manager assumes responsibility for the entire facility, pursuant to the Michigan Aeronautical code 259.133, and is required to plan, organize and direct the operation, business and maintenance activities of the airport.
• Develops, manages and implement Airport’s five / ten-year Capital Improvement Plan with assistance and direction of the Assistant County Administrator. Develops, manages and guides thru assistance provided by aviation consultants with the Airport Layout Plan, and Airport Master Plan. Included in these work areas are the collaboration with consultants, engineers, and other • Government Agencies, and Emmet County administrative staff.
• Provides airport financial management including assistance in preparing the annual budget in conjunction with the County Finance Director or their designee and the County Administrator with multiple airport funds; budget compliance; development of alternative revenue sources, both aeronautical and non-aeronautical/ development of costs saving measure, oversight of accounts receivable; purchasing needs. Follows appropriate county purchasing and procurement policies and assist with new lease and renewal leases with Civil Counsel. Assists the County Administrator as instructed with contract negotiations.
• Serves as the project manager, with guidance from County Administrative staff, or consultants for ongoing and future capital improvement projects at the Airport. Projects may include a variety of different building and hangar construction or renovation projects and airfield pavement, construction and reconstruction.
• Provides support in airport planning and development including strategic infrastructure development and airport master planning to aviation consultants as requested, land use and zoning coordination with appropriate county staff, and compliance with federal, state, and local governmental regulations.
• Assists in airport public relations including presentations and other communications to Federal, State, and local governments’ leaders and groups, other local government officials and community groups, within direction of the County Administrator.
• Prepare and manage State and Federal grant programs, including responsibility for grant tracking, grant funds reporting requirements, grant end reports, or other grant related activity.
• Directs airport-marketing programs, develops and implements the Annual Marketing Plan with assistance of County administrative staff, coordinates with outside economic development agencies to retain existing tenants and attract new business opportunities existing tenants and attract new business opportunities.
• Monitors and ensures compliance with obligations under leases and other agreements involving the airport. Maintains a waiting list for potential future hangar renters. Conducts routine inspections of county owned facilities on the airport property; and all airport properties for safety concerns, maintenance issues, compliance with insurance requirements and long term planning.
• Responsible for Facility management and all oversight of general airport maintenance, including grounds and buildings. Responsible for the development of a preventative maintenance plan. Ensures that yearly inventory of airport assets is conducted and reported to the appropriate county staff. Responsible for direct supervision of Fixed Based Operator (FBO) activities, including the direct management of snow removal activities including operations of snowplows, and lawn cutting equipment and operations as required by the airport plan, and as needed. Review of FBO daily operation and work regarding cleaning of airport facilities, grounds upkeep, general maintenance issues, Crash Fire Rescue response, training, and equipment, and others as assigned. Maintains required FAA policies with scheduled revision reviews for all Airport operating permit categories.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations governing airports, security and land use.
• Extensive knowledge of contract formulation, negotiation processes, facilities planning and design, and purchasing/procurement practices.
• Knowledge of sound business practices cost analysis methods, facilities management, building, grounds and equipment maintenance and staff supervision.
• Ability to interpret financial statements, and to prepare and present budgets.
• Knowledge of research methods and ability to write technical memorandums and other correspondence.
• Computer skills including familiarity with all Microsoft Office applications, experience with BS&A financial software preferred. Ability to be computer literate to a degree of job compatibility.
• Five years direct experience in the management of an airport or aviation sub-component, or as the director of one or more major airport management functions.
• Experience working at a General Aviation airport or other experience in an equivalent business operation is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Facilities Maintenance or Management, or a related field.
• Must be able to qualify for and maintain a Michigan Airport License and possess a valid Michigan Driver’s License.
• Must become certified as airport security coordinator under the Transportation Security Administration.
• Certification as an Accredited Airport Executive (259.86) with the American Association of Airport Executives is desirable, but not required.
• AAAE ACE Ops Certification desirable.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.