PARKS & RECREATION PROGRAMMING ADMINISTRATOR
POSITION: Parks & Recreation Programming Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation Department
SUPERVISOR: Parks & Recreation Director
LOCATION: Headlands International Dark Sky Park, McGulpin Lighthouse, Cecil Bay Park
RATE OF PAY: $42,182 annually
Works with the Emmet County Parks and Recreation team to set diverse program content, provide program guidance and operational support for all County Park facilities. Through program design and delivery, enhances the natural amenities provided at each of our unique and beautiful County Park facilities.
• Develops and manages programming schedules for the Headlands International Dark Sky Park, Camp Petosega, McGulpin Point Lighthouse, Cecil Bay Park, and the Emmet County Fairgrounds.
• Plans, organizes, and directs a variety of recreation and cultural programs designed draw visitors to the Parks as to highlight the season, location, and the natural amenities available at each Park.
• Directs and reviews the work of part time staff, seasonal staff, and volunteers; instructs staff in work procedures and ensures adherence to safety policies and procedures. Prepares schedules and executes program logistics with the associated Park Manager and in collaboration with the Director of Parks and Recreation.
• Develops and implements new park programs; prepares program goals, and manages the park programming budget in collaboration with the Director of Parks and Recreation.
• Prepares and maintains statistical records and reports related to recreation programs, facilities, and projects. Prepares pre and post formas to determine viability and success of each program and for future budgeting and staffing purposes.
• Conducts research on various programs and initiatives to create funding sources through grants.
• Responsible for content creation and oversees the distribution of a variety of brochures, calendars, letters, posters, news releases, flyers and related communications regarding recreation programs in collaboration with the Communications Director and the Director of Parks and Recreation.
• Obtains needed supplies, receives and processes cash payments, prepares receipts and balances daily payment logs. Maintains a flexible schedule including working late nights and weekends.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Able to multi-task
• Has a love for working in and sharing the natural beauty of Northern Michigan and for working outside in all elements
• Maintains a positive attitude at all times
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Possesses recreational experience and has an understanding of recreational philosophy, planning and administration.
• Proficient in events planning and coordination.
• Able to work on and build effective teams.
• Must have strong organizational and follow through abilities.
• Experience in supervising others.
• Effective communication skills with co-workers and the general public, including the ability to prepare reports; effective public relations and public speaking skills.
• Has the ability to problem solve and possess creative thinking.
• Has the ability to collaborate with others, works as a team as well as individually to accomplish successful programming.
• Has ability to market programs to the public.
• Computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software sufficient to create/prepare reports and presentations, manage databases, and track projects.
• Should also be highly proficient in managing social media advertising/marketing. Experience with Contract management is preferred, but not required.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Park Planning, Park and Recreation Administration, Leisure Services, Facility Management, business or Public Administration or related field.
• A demonstrable combination of education and experience may be substituted, so long as it provides the desired skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Must possess a minimum of at least one-year experience in professional-level recreation work including programming and coordinating recreational activities and experienced in park operations.
• Has at least one-year experience in project and program management At least one year prior supervisory experience as well as governmental agency recreation work experience (city or county government) is preferred.
• Valid Michigan Driver’s License
• CPR & First Aid certification within six (6) months of date of employment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.