MANAGER - HEADLANDS DARK SKY PARK & MCGULPIN POINT LIGHTHOUSE
POSITION: Manager of Headlands Dark Sky Park & McGulpin Point Lighthouse
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation Department
SUPERVISOR: Parks & Recreation Director
LOCATION: Headlands International Dark Sky Park, McGulpin Lighthouse, Cecil Bay Park
RATE OF PAY: $46,928 annually
Manages the Headlands International Dark Sky Park, McGulpin Point Lighthouse, and Cecil Bay Park for the Emmet County Parks and Recreation Department, including the Headlands International Dark Sky Park Waterfront Event Center, Gift Shop, Observatory, McGulpin Point Lighthouse, Gift Shop and Cottage, Headlands Guest House, Headlands Stargazing House, Cecil Bay Park, and a number of miles of hiking trails.
• Manages daily office functions, including inventory procurement, facility reservations, handling daily financials, ordering materials and supplies, and any other necessary paperwork.
• Oversees and is involved in the park maintenance, including grounds work, gardening, trail maintenance, snow removal and janitorial/custodial for all facilities.
• Oversees the operation and maintenance of park equipment.
• Manages the hiring process for seasonal staff members including team member paperwork, training, and daily park operations.
• Manages the Headlands and McGulpin budget in collaboration with the Director of Parks and Recreation.
• Collaborates with the Park Programming Coordinator about upcoming events, concerts, or natural sky events.
• Collaborates with the Northern Michigan Astronomy Club (NOMAC) and other volunteer groups to highlight the dark sky using telescopes, and laser pointed sky tours.
• Annually maintains the International Dark Sky Designation from the International Dark-Sky Association.
• Assists visitors with questions and requests, and maintains order and general use within the park.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Customer service oriented, problem solver with good judgement, natural leader, relationship-oriented communicator.
• Must be able to maintain a flexible schedule – late nights, weekends, and weekdays will all be required based on seasonal and dark sky events. Living close to Mackinaw City, Michigan is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the dark sky/astronomy is encouraged but not required.
• Understanding of park rules and regulations.
• Must have strong organizational and follow through abilities.
• Experience in supervising others.
• Effective communication skills with co-workers and the general public, including the ability to prepare reports; effective public relations and public speaking skills.
• Has the ability to problem solve and possess creative thinking.
• Has the ability to collaborate with others, works as a team.
• Computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software sufficient to create/prepare reports and presentations, manage databases, and track projects.
• Ability to use heavy equipment including lawn mowers, tractors, snowmobile, and hand tools is preferred.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Park Planning, Park and Recreation Administration, Leisure Services, Facility Management, business or Public Administration or related field is preferred; with at least 2 years’ experience in a related park environment, prior supervisory experience, general maintenance and functional oversight required.
• Experience with Contract management is preferred, but not required.
• Valid Driver’s License
• CPR & First Aid certification within six (6) months of date of employment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.