SEASONAL - PUBLIC WORKS ATTENDANT
POSITION: Public Works Attendant (seasonal)
SUPERVISOR: Recycling Operations Supervisor
LOCATION: Emmet County Recycling, Composting, and Waste Transfer Station (7363 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs)
RATE OF PAY: from $12.75/per hour
To fully participate in the operations of the Department of Public Works as directed by the DOC Manager. Primary functions include Transfer Station compactor operation, equipment operation (side by side, compactors, forklift, Bobcat Loader), customer service, and day-to-day transfer station duties.
• Tend to transfer station customers: estimate solid waste volume, assist customers, operate solid waste compactors, and answer questions regarding DPW operations. Perform all tasks with safety in mind.
• Operate and maintain public works equipment including side by side, Bobcat Loader, forklift, and trash compactors keep machinery in good order and safe for operation.
• Direct traffic on grounds to maintain safe and efficient operations, and to encourage resource recovery. Keep the transfer station and surrounding area clean, perform grounds work.
• For all job functions, appropriate PPE (personal protective equipment) must to be worn and all safety protocol followed.
• Effectively communicate with customers and businesses.
• Other tasks/duties as directed by DOC Manager. All job functions to be performed with all safety considerations.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Courteous to the public, excellent customer service, positive attitude, team player, communication, accountability, flexibility, creativity, passion, hardworking, ambitious, quick thinker, honest, punctual.
This position involves the operation of skid steers, forklifts, compactors, Bobcat, and assorted maintenance and repair tools. Must wear all safety equipment provided by County, including work boots, and obey safety procedures.
• Outdoor physically demanding work in all weather conditions.
• Lifting and handling garbage bags.
• Work can be noisy, dusty, and smelly.
• Saturday work required. Closed on Sundays.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Must be able to communicate effectively with employees and the general public.
• Must be able to observe all safety requirements and use good sense.
• Must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have good communication skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.