PROBATE COURT FINANCIAL OFFICER
POSITION: Financial Officer
DEPARTMENT: Probate Court
SUPERVISOR: Probate Court Judge, Probate Court Administrator
LOCATION: Emmet County Building, downtown Petoskey
RATE OF PAY: $19.79/per hour
Under the direction of and in coordination with the Probate Court Judge and Court Administrator, executes and completes all necessary duties to insure the efficient, effective, and accurate maintenance, monitoring, and processing of all financial records and transactions relative to case filings and the operations of the Court. Functions as the Deputy Probate Register and/or the Deputy Juvenile Register, as needed.
• Vouchers and posting of all monthly charges and statements. Receipting in payments and reporting all payments to the Treasurer’s Office
• Completes all financial reports for the Probate and Juvenile Court as required. Completes monthly financial 207 statements, monitors and assists in the Child Care Fund Annual Budget.
• Prepares all financial documents and files for audit purposes. Prepares and checks the accuracy of the monthly offset statement from the State, files corrections when necessary. Tracks all Child Care Fund expenses by account, reconciling County and State Budgets.
• Maintains and monitors payment schedule for all grants received by the Court.
• Processes accounts payable for the Juvenile Division of the Family Court and the Probate Court. Processes vouchers to pay court ordered restitution which includes reviewing receipts and ensuring that the client’s account is properly credited and the victims paid.
• Initial interviews with clients to assess financial status and ability to make payments. May request financial statements. Issues reimbursement orders, prepares motion and orders for financial reasons, vouchers, posting monthly charges to appropriate parties and posts monthly payments.
• Drafts affidavits and motions for orders to show cause to institute contempt proceedings for delinquent accounts, testifies at contempt hearings, and draft revised orders and wages assignments in accordance with the Court’s rulings.
• Drafts bench warrants for failure to appear for review and execution by the judge. Prepares income tax intercepts and notices on delinquent accounts.
• Prepares and mails monthly Crime Victim Rights Assessment Report, prepares fee transmittal for State of Michigan regarding collections of Crime Victim Rights assessments. Distributes restitution payments.
• Prepares monthly state mandated reports and disbursements.
• Opens daily mail, distributes, receipts in any payments, and takes down all receipts/payments to Treasurer’s Office daily. Responsible for petty cash.
• Facilitates telephone and walk-in inquires and/or direct to appropriate person.
• Performs necessary duties of the Probate and Juvenile Register in his/her absence or when need of assistance.
• Performs other reasonably related duties as designated by supervisor.
• Attends training and conferences as required by supervisor.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Must be able to multi-task while remaining calm and courteous to the public and coworkers.
• Must be willing to work as part of a team and provide support to other positions.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Accounting background essential, governmental accounting principles preferred.
• Knowledge of financial computer programs – spreadsheets, excel, database related.
• Experience with providing front line customer service as required.
• Must be discreet with confidential client information.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
• Associates degree with relevant experience considered.
• Significant experience with revenue receipts, billings, and disbursements, and 7-10 years’ experience working with accounting principles.
• Must be willing to comply with the Model Code of Conduct for Michigan Trial Court Employees.
• Valid Michigan driver’s license.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.