POSITION: Deputy Sheriff/Certified Police Officer
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff’s Uniformed Services
SUPERVISOR: Lieutenant Road Patrol
LOCATION: Emmet County Sheriff’s Office
RATE OF PAY: $23.19 – $25.90 hourly
Perform duties pertaining to the protection of lives and property, enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, prevention of crime, preservation of public peace, and the apprehension of criminals.
• Patrols designated areas to prevent, deter, and suppress traffic violations and criminal activity.
• Enforce State of Michigan Law, Federal Law, Emmet county Ordinance, or administrative order and preserve the peace.
• Investigate criminal and traffic offenses in accordance with the Michigan penal code and traffic statutes. Apprehend violators.
• Maintain contact with the Sheriff’s Office, acknowledge receipt of dispatches, and respond to emergency situations.
• Provides accurate information for the preparation of statistical reports and for the prosecution of offenders.
• Transport prisoners or mentally incapacitated persons to or from designated facilities or judicial proceedings.
• Accompany inmates to court for arraignments, sentencing and motions.
• Appear and/or testify in civil, criminal and/or traffic litigation cases.
• Process/service various civil and criminal subpoenas as well as other court orders.
• Provide assistance to other agencies and the general public as needed that may include medical assistance.
• Conduct property checks and security details as assigned.
• Operate job functions in a safe manner.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned. Carry out the policy and procedures of the Sheriff’s Office.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
• Demonstrate positive interpersonal skills while having the ability to communicate effectively and project a positive image.
• Possess good moral character.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Good physical condition
• Use of communication equipment, computers, vehicles, and various firearms
• Willing and able to work various shifts
• Work as a team with staff members as needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Must possess a minimum of an Associate Degree
• Must pass an extensive background investigation, • Successfully complete written and oral examinations
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certifiable or certified.