POSITION: Deputy Sheriff/Certified Police Officer
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff’s Office (uniformed services)
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
LOCATION: Sheriff’s Office building
RATE OF PAY: $22.51/hr to $24.32/hr (depending on knowledge, skills & experience)
Perform duties pertaining to the protection of lives and property, enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, prevention of crime, preservation of public peace, and the apprehension of criminals.
• Patrols designated areas to prevent, deter, and suppress traffic violations and criminal activity.
• Enforce State of Michigan Law, Federal Law, Emmet county Ordinance, or administrative order and preserve the peace.
• Investigate criminal and traffic offenses in accordance with the Michigan penal code and traffic statutes. Apprehend violators.
• Maintain contact with the Sheriff’s Office, acknowledge receipt of dispatches, and respond to emergency situations.
• Provides accurate information for the preparation of statistical reports and for the prosecution of offenders.
• Transport prisoners or mentally incapacitated persons to or from designated facilities or judicial proceedings.
• Accompany inmates to court for arraignments, sentencing and motions.
• Appear and/or testify in civil, criminal and/or traffic litigation cases.
• Process/service various civil and criminal subpoenas as well as other court orders.
• Provide assistance to other agencies and the general public as needed that may include medical assistance.
• Conduct property checks and security details as assigned.
• Operate job functions in a safe manner.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned. Carry out the policy and procedures of the Sheriff’s Office.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
Demonstrate positive interpersonal skills while having the ability to communicate effectively and project a positive image. Possess good moral character.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
• Good physical condition
• Use of communication equipment, computers, vehicles, and various firearms.
• Willing and able to work various shifts.
• Work as a team with staff members as needed.
• Must possess a minimum of an Associate Degree
• Must pass an extensive background investigation
• Successfully complete written and oral examinations.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certifiable or certified.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.