ASSISTANT PROSECUTING ATTORNEY I
DEPARTMENT: Prosecuting Attorney
LOCATION: Emmet County Building
- Under the supervision of the Prosecuting Attorney review police reports to authorize or deny warrant requests for criminal prosecution.
- Represent the State of Michigan in all stages of prosecution for misdemeanor, felony, and probate cases by appearing in District, Circuit, and/or Probate courts from authorization through trial.
- Interview victims and witnesses.
- Draft all types of legal pleadings; for example: motions, briefs, stipulations, witness lists, and jury instructions.
- Prepare and review search warrants.
- Consult with law enforcement agencies.
- Any other duties assigned by the prosecuting attorney.
- Applicant must be proficient in legal research and writing.
- Case assignments will include, but not limited to, the prosecution of domestic violence and assaultive crimes with the possibility of juvenile delinquency and abuse/neglect cases.
REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school; membership in good standing in the State Bar of Michigan; possession of a valid Michigan Driver’s License; and ability to pass a personal background investigation, including a criminal history check.
SALARY RANGE FOR 2020:$51,835 – $61,397 (This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance.)
PROCESS: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and legal references by attaching them to the employment application or by mailing to the below listed address:
Mail to: Human Resources Department, 200 Division Street, Suite 178, Petoskey, MI 49770