SUPERVISOR: County Clerk
DEPARTMENT: County Clerk’s Office
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
LOCATION: County Building
RATE OF PAY: $17.49/hr
At Emmet County, we are a diverse group of team members who possess a friendly disposition, attention to detail and an unwavering dedication to providing outstanding services to our constituents. Understanding that our team members are our most valuable asset, Emmet County is committed to providing the best experience and working environment any team member can imagine.
Reporting to the County Clerk, serves the public for all functions as provided for under Michigan State Law as duties of the County Clerk.
- Works closely with the public by accepting and processing death records and birth records, preparing certified birth records, receipt and preparation of marriage licenses, administering oaths, collection of payments, answering and processing phone calls, filing, notarization, photocopying, record retrieval, file creation, data entry into computer systems, etc.
- Communicates daily with the public, various governmental agencies, funeral homes, law enforcement agencies, the legal community, and every office in the county building.
- Assist in processing of Circuit Court, civil and criminal files by taking in new case filings, assigning docket numbers, collecting necessary filing fees, timestamping and acceptance and filing of pleadings.
- Responsible for the personal protection order process. Aids in the completion of the personal protection request, contacts the judge’s office and guides the petitioner to that office, completes the order of protection or denial, and processes the documents so that all parties are informed. Instructs the applicant of the steps taken to serve the respondent.
- Responsible for terminating the personal protection order.
- Accepts and processes applications for concealed weapons permits through the MCJICIN System.
- Interacts with other agencies in order to complete tasks.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS: Professional, efficient, detail-oriented with organizational skills and an outgoing personality.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: Proficiency with AS-400, BS&A, Computer Skills, Dataworks Plus Fingerprinting, MICJIN system, BRS (Birth registry System), EDRS (Electronic Death Registry System), Excellent Communication Skills, Ability to adapt to changing technology.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or equivalent; 1-3 years’ prior administrative experience required.
CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES REQUIRED: Notary public, oath of office, BRS and EDRS-certified.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by such a person.