Position: Mechanical Inspector – full time position preferred, part-time may be considered
(Dual Registered as a Plumbing Inspector not required but beneficial)
Status: Independent Contractor
Supports: Emmet County Planning/Zoning & Construction
Location: As directed by work
RATE OF PAY
1 Registration: $24.00 – $27.00
2 Registrations: $27.00 – $30.00
3 Registrations: $30.00 – $34.00
4 Registrations: $33.00 – $37.00
To help construction progress by reviewing mechanical plans and inspecting mechanical installations for code compliance, and to confirm that construction meets the minimum expectations as code compliant and safe.
- Administration and enforcement of the building codes in accordance with the rules and regulations governing construction in the State of Michigan.
- Performs mechanical inspections for construction requiring mechanical permits. Completes and sends inspection reports to permit holders.
- Meets with Customers to review current and future projects. Provide code interpretations. Educate customers and public on the requirements and necessity for code enforcement.
- Corresponds with customers via mail, email, phone calls, etc. Ensures good public relations.
- Reviews building plans and specifications submitted in connection with mechanical permit applications.
- Explains the requirements of the local & state building code, and other applicable laws to building contractors and the general public.
- Uses computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, email and database software in performing work assignments.
- Perform mechanical plan reviews to confirm code compliance with plans submitted.
- Completes daily inspection and travel logs for department records
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Knowledge of the mechanical code, experience in the trade of mechanical installations, have good communication skills, ability to work well with others, ability to work independently to organize daily inspection and work activities. Ability to work with computers, tablets, digital camera, cell phone, fax machine. Ability to work outdoors, climb ladders, access crawlspaces, attics, traverse construction sites.
High School diploma or equivalent. Minimum 3 years of experience in the design, installation and repair of commercial heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment systems, including two years equivalent to an experiences-level trades designer, installer or repairer. Must be registered, or capable of being registered as a mechanical inspector within 30 days, in accordance with the requirements of PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.5801 – 339.5819.
Mechanical license for not less than 1 year in 3 or more categories 1, 2, 4 and 9 of mechanical licensure as defined in PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.5801 – 339.5819
Valid driver license.