Deputy Sheriff, Certified Police Officer
DEPARTMENT: Uniformed Services Division, Sheriff Department
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
RATE OF PAY: $22.51
LOCATION: Sheriff’s Department Road Patrol
Here at Emmet County, we are a diverse group of team members who possess a friendly disposition, attention to detail and an unwavering dedication to providing outstanding services to our constituents. Understanding that our team members are our most valuable asset, Emmet County is committed to providing the best experience and working environment any team member can imagine.
Position Summary: Perform duties pertaining to the protection of lives and property, enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, prevention of crime, preservation of public peace, and the apprehension of criminals.
- Patrol designated areas to prevent, deter, and suppress traffic violations and criminal activity.
- Enforce State of Michigan Law, Federal Law, Emmet County Ordinance, or administrative order and preserve the peace.
- Investigate criminal and traffic offenses in accordance with the Michigan penal code and traffic statutes. Apprehend violators.
- Maintain contact with the Sheriff’s Office, acknowledge receipt of dispatches, and respond to emergency situations.
- Provide accurate information for the preparation of statistical report and for the prosecution of offenders.
- Transport prisoners or mentally incapacitated persons to or from designated facilities or judicial proceedings.
- Accompany inmates to court for arraignments, sentencing and motions.
- Appear and/or testify in civil, criminal and/or traffic litigation cases.
- Process/ Service various civil and criminal subpoenas as well as other court orders.
- Provide assistance to other agencies and the general public as needed that may include medical assistance.
- Conduct property checks and security details as assigned.
- Operate job functions in a safe manner.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned. Carry out the policy and procedure of the Sheriff’s Office
Desired Behavioral Traits: Demonstrate positive interpersonal skills while having the ability to communicate effectively and project a positive image. Possess good moral character.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Good physical condition, use of communication equipment, computers, vehicles, and various firearms. Willing and able to work various shifts. Work as a team with our staff members as needed.
Education and Experience: Must possess a minimum of an Associate Degree, pass an extensive background investigation, successfully complete written and oral examinations. Must be 18 years of age or older.
Required Certification / License: Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certifiable or certified.