Department: Planning, Zoning and Construction Resources
Supervisor: Building Official
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Rate of Pay: $24.32 if both P&M +PR
Location: John Watson Building, M119, Harbor Springs
Here at Emmet County, we are a diverse group of team members who possess a friendly disposition, attention to detail and an unwavering dedication to providing outstanding services to our constituents. Understanding that our team members are our most valuable asset, Emmet County is committed to providing the best experience and working environment any team member can imagine.
POSITION SUMMARY: To help construction progress by reviewing mechanical/plumbing plans and inspecting mechanical/plumbing installations for code compliance, and to confirm that construction meets the minimum expectations as code compliant and safe.
- Administration and enforcement of the building codes in accordance with the rules and regulations governing construction in the State of Michigan.
- Performs mechanical/plumbing inspections for construction requiring mechanical/plumbing permits. Completes and sends inspection reports to permit holders.
- Meets with Customers to review current and future projects. Provide code interpretations. Educate customers and the public on the requirements and necessity for code enforcement.
- Corresponds with customers via mail, email, phone calls, etc. Ensures good public relations.
- Reviews building plans and specifications submitted in connection with mechanical/plumbing permit applications.
- Explains the requirements of the local & state building code, and other applicable laws to building contractors and the general public.
- Uses computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, email and database software in performing work assignments.
- Perform mechanical/plumbing plan reviews to confirm code compliance with plans submitted.
- Completes daily inspection and travel logs for department records
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS: Open minded, level headed, non-judgmental. Personable with contractors and the general public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: Knowledge of the mechanical/plumbing code, experience in the trade of mechanical/plumbing installations, have good communication skills, ability to work well with others, ability to work independently to organize daily inspection and work activities. Ability to work with computers, tablets, digital camera, cell phone, fax machine. Ability to work outdoors, climb ladders, access crawlspaces, attics, traverse construction sites.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or equivalent. Six years of experience in the design, installation and repair of commercial heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment and plumbing systems, including two years equivalent to an experienced-level trades designer, installer or repairer. Must be registered, or capable of being registered as a mechanical/plumbing inspector within 30 days, in accordance with the requirements of PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.5801 – 339.5819 for mechanical requirements, and MCL 339.6101 – 339.6133 for plumbing requirements.
CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSES REQUIRED: Mechanical license for not less than 1 year in 3 or more categories 1, 2, 4 and 9 of mechanical licensure as defined in PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.5801 – 339.5819. Plumbing journey license for not less than 2 years or licensed as a master plumber, under the provisions of PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.6101 – 339.6133. Valid driver license.