Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer
POSITION: Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer
SUPERVISOR: Building Official
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
Here at Emmet County, we are a diverse group of team members who possess a friendly disposition, attention to detail and an unwavering dedication to providing outstanding services to our constituents. Understanding that our team members are our most valuable asset, Emmet County is committed to providing the best experience and working environment any team member can imagine.
Responsible for assisting the Building Official with the administration and enforcement of the building code. Responsibilities include performing inspections and plan reviews for construction projects to ensure code compliance with the residential code and the commercial building code, as well as monitor compliance with the residential builder license laws (PA 299 of 1980)
- Administration and enforcement of the building codes in accordance with the rules and regulations governing construction in the State of Michigan
- Perform building inspections for construction requiring building permits. Complete and send inspection report to permit holders.
- Meet with customers to review current and future projects. Provide code interpretations. Educate customers and public on the requirements and necessity for code enforcement
- Correspond with the customers via mail, email, phone calls, etc. Ensures public relations.
- Perform building plan reviews to confirm code compliance with plans submitted
- Completes daily inspection and travel logs for department records
- Attends educational conferences, public meetings and committee reviews in order to maintain inspector registration requirements and county interests with respect to the building codes.
- Keep current with the applicable construction codes and maintains state inspector registration through continuing education programs.
- Carries out the directions and decisions of the Department Head.
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS
Open minded, level headed, non-judgmental.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Good communications skills, background and knowledge of construction, understanding of building codes, laws, rules, regulations and ordinances governing construction. Ability to provide code compliant direction in a manner that can be widely understood. Good computer skills
Background and a minimum of 4 years’ experience in construction and/or a degree or certification from an institution of higher education in a construction related field, or licensed or registered building inspector or plan reviewer for at least 4 years from Canada or another state and possess a current master or certified building official certificate obtained from the International Code Council (ICC). Must be registered, or capable of being registered as a building inspector within 30 days. In accordance with the requirements of PA 407 of 2016, MCL 339.6001-339.6023.
Registration as an inspector under the requirements of the State of Michigan PA of 2016