The Emmet County solid waste Transfer Station is a central place to take garbage to be loaded into semis for the trip to the landfill. Garbage from the Transfer Station is buried at Republic Waste Services' landfill in Presque Isle County.
7363 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday
(not a complete list):
|Garbage, bagged||$2.25 / bag|
|Garbage, loose||$13.50 a cubic yard|
|Garbage, non-compactable||$24 / cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Construction Scraps||$24 / cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Demolition Debris||$24 / cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Couch||$12 (sleeper $24), plus fuel surcharge|
|Big ol' chair||$12, plus fuel surcharge|
Call 231-526-2031 ext. 3 to discuss your load with a Waste Transfer Station Attendant.
What We Can Take
Day-to-day or downright weird, you can probably throw it away at the Transfer Station. Just for fun, here are some examples:
- a bag of garbage
- a fiberglass boat
- the junk pile from a remodeling project
- a tired old sofa
- a giant stuffed toy gorilla
- a burn barrel
- There are a few exceptions...
What We CAN'T Take
We can't take the following to be landfilled:
- Hazardous materials. See our Household Chemical Drop-off for information on disposing of chemicals from your home or business.
- Medical waste from clinics and businesses. Call (231) 348-0640 for information on disposing of needles from home use.
- Tires. Whole tires are banned from Michigan landfills. For information on recycling them visit our Recycling Guide.
- Yard Waste - Yard waste less than 4 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter is banned from Michigan landfills. For information on our compost drop-off or composting it at home, see our Composting page.