- Signatures must be original; and names must be typed or printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(a)
- No discrepancy shall exist between the names printed in the notary acknowledgement and as printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(b)
- Instruments conveying mortgaging property shall state the marital status of all male grantors/mortgagors. (Married or Single) MCLA 565.221 NOTE: This is no longer required.
- The address of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate shall contain the street number address or post office address. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(d)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a Corporation, Partnership, Trust, Association MCLA 55.265(g)
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan require an acknowledgment by a judge, clerk of a court of record or a notary public within this state. MCLA 565.8; form: LAND 565.47, MCLA 565.265; 565.267
- A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have been recorded and referenced by Liber and Page on said document when “survivor” is indicated on the document. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court. MCLA 565.401; 565.411
- The document submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(iv).
- Documents must have a margin of unprinted space at least 2-½ inches at the top of the first page and at least ½ inch on all remaining sides of each page. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(i)
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(ii); 565.201 Sec. 3
- The type on the form must be printed with black ink; type size at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iii)(iv)
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-pound weight. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(iv)
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8-½ inches by 11 inches; at most 8-½ inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(f)(v)(vi)
- Unless required by state or federal law or court order, no more than 4 sequential digits of any social security number may appear on the instrument. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1(g)
- Instruments shall not purport to evidence more than one recordable event. MCLA 565.201(3)
- When a subdivision plat has been recorded, the lots in the plat shall be described by the caption of the plat and the lot number for all purposes. MCLA 560.255
- Blanket assignments are accepted. Blanket releases are accepted.
- Self-addressed return envelopes are required.
- Documents that do not meet the requirements, including documents with more than one title, will be rejected.
- Common document errors include incorrect fee, missing individual drafter name, names not typed beneath signatures, marital status of male grantor/ mortgagor not disclosed (this is no longer a requirement), and notarial certificate incomplete.
© 2019 Emmet County Government
All Rights Reserved.
Produced by Gaslight Media