Fees and Services
The Register of Deeds office records, files, maintains, and retrieves all documents relating to real property in Emmet County.
Checks should be made payable to Emmet County Register of Deeds
200 Division St., Suite 150
Petoskey, MI 49770
Copies are $1.00 per page.
Online copies are $1.05 per page.
($1.00 certification fee per document)
The ROD office offers electronic filing, eliminating the need for paper recording of documents. ROD Michele Stine said members of the public who need to file deeds, mortgages, liens and discharges of mortgages can now send them through a secured electronic connection to the office.
This system will also allow for corrections to be made back-and-forth within minutes, eliminating time- and paper-consuming mailings.
Managing the e-recording for the county are two companies, Simplifile and Ingeo. Users can contact the companies, who will guide them through the e-recording process.
To use Simplifile, click here.
To use CSC, click here. (Formerly known as Ingeo)
To use EPN, click here.
Recording fees for entering and recording any document is a flat fee of $30.00
- *$4.00 of this fee is deposited to the Michigan State Survey & Remonumentation (MSSR) Fund. This fee is not required for fixture filings, state liens, federal liens, MESC liens, State Deeds, or Plats.
- For any document that assigns or discharges more than one instrument, $3.00 shall be added to the fee for each instrument so assigned or discharged.
- Warranty deeds, land contracts or assignments of land contracts, or deeds that contain a covenant of warranty, must obtain a tax certificate from the County Treasurer’s office prior to recording. A $5.00 fee is charged for the certificate.
- Michigan Real Estate Transfer Taxes A written instrument subject to the tax imposed by MCL 207.505 Sec. 5 and MCL 207.526 Sec. 6 shall state on its face the Total Consideration of the real property, the appropriate State and/or County exemption, or a Real Estate Transfer Valuation Affidavit shall be filed. (See forms for details).
Transfer tax imposed by each act shall be collected unless the transfer is exempt from either or both acts and such exemptions are stated on the face of the instrument.
The tax shall be upon the person who is the seller or the grantor.
If the value of the real estate transferred is $100.00 or more, payment of State and County transfer tax is required.
•Rate of County tax – $ .55 per $500 & under or fraction thereof
• Rate of State tax – $3.75 per $500 & under or fraction thereof (See table)
In the case of an exchange of two properties the deeds transferring title to each are subject to tax, and in each case shall be computed on the basis of the actual value of the property conveyed.
Conveyances affecting property situated in more than one county must state the portion of the sales price attributable to each parcel lying in the separate counties and transfer tax must be paid to each county for that portion of the sale price.
No fee is charged for filing the “Real Estate Transfer Valuation Affidavit,” but the instrument should state that a real estate transfer valuation affidavit is being filed.
- Application for State Real Estate Transfer Tax (SRETT) Refund
When a seller pays the SRETT to the Register of Deeds, and later determines that the sale (transfer) of the real property was exempt from the SRETT, the Michigan Department of Treasury will process an application for a refund of the SRETT. Once the application information is verified, Treasury will issue a check payable to the seller for the amount of the SRETT. This form must be filed within four years from the date the tax was paid.
- NEW: Search services are offered by this office. The cost is $5 per name for 15 minutes of staff time to search for you. You may also contact a Title Insurance Company or a land records data company to have a private title search done for you. Click here to download the search form.
- Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) fees and services:
Personal Property Filings – Act. No. 130 P.A. of 1988 as amended, Uniform Commercial Code, MCLA 440.9405 etal., MSA 19.9405.
Indexed images available digitally online:
INDEX BOOKS TO DEEDS:
BOOKS 1 A-Z and 1-15
03/05/1846 – 07/01/1971
- LIBER A – K OF DEEDS (Circa 1855-1887)
- LIBER 120-149 OF DEEDS (Approximately 03/26/47 – 05/21/56)
- LIBER 150 – CURRENT L & P ALL DOCS (05/17/56 – Current proof date)
- LIBERS 1 – 119 OF DEEDS (1846-03/26/1947 approximately)
- LIBERS L – Z OF DEEDS
- LIBERS A – Z OF MORTGAGES
- LIBERS 1-86 OF MORTGAGES (1846 – 05/21/1956)
If you know the L & P of an unindexed document, the image can be printed off of the computer, though unindexed documents are not redacted.