Register of Deeds FAQs

Can you prepare my document or give me the forms to use?
No, the Register of Deeds does not prepare any legal document, nor do we give legal advice. Some forms may be obtained from an office supply store. If you need assistance, please contact an attorney, title company or real estate agent.
A few local title companies include:

Petoskey Title
Bell Title Agency
Attorney’s Title
Talon Title Agency
Devon Title
American Title Agency
PPR Title

Do you furnish abstracts/titles to property?

What payment methods do you accept?
For recording documents: cash or check
For copies of documents: cash, check and escrow account
Online copies: escrow account or credit card

Can I record a fax or a copy of a document?
No, only documents with original signatures can be recorded.

Can I record a TRUE COPY court document?
No. Court documents must be certified with the court seal to be recorded. Death certificates must be certified with the Clerk’s seal.

Can you fax or e-mail me a copy of a recorded document?
We accept cash, check, credit card and escrow payments. All charges are paid in advance of the service. For this service please email:
For immediate service please visit

Do you have standard document requirements?
Yes, see Recording Requirements.

Can I get documents through the Freedom of Information Act?
No, all documents in this office are public information or covered by state statute. The copy fees for documents are set by state statute.

When will you record my document and what do you do with the document after recording?
We record and return the document within 3-4 days of receipt as long as it meets the recording requirements. The document is returned to whoever sent or brought the document to us, unless other specific instructions are given. If the document came to us through an attorney/bank/title agency, etc. it is up to them when they return it to you.

If my property goes into mortgage foreclosure can I redeem it in your office?
Yes, we accept redemption payments. You can also make arrangements through the involved companies, financial institutions, or their legal counsel, and redeem directly from them. After the redemption period has expired, only they can help you. Foreclosure prevention information

When was my house built?
We can’t answer that. We only deal with land records. Check with your township, city, village, the State Archives or Emmet County’s Planning & Zoning Department.

Do you have a survey of my property?
Only if it has been surveyed and recorded.

Do you have or record mortgage surveys?

How can I find out who owns certain property?
Go to the online Property Search, click on “Begin Search” under Public Users. You can search by name, address or parcel number.

How do I search for a deed?
You can search on this Web site at no charge. Click here to register and begin the process.

Why is there a 2-1/2 inch top margin requirement?
The state passed a law on April 1, 1997 that requires a 2-1/2 inch top margin and ½ inch on all other sides. This is to allow room for the recording information, stamps, etc.

Does the marital status have to be shown on documents?
The marital status of males must be shown on documents that encumber or convey property, such as deeds and mortgages. Please check our “Recording Requirements” link to see which documents require marital status.

Does the document need to be witnessed and notarized?
Documents no longer require witnesses. Most documents require notarization. Please check our “Recording Requirements” link to see which documents require a notary.

What documents have to be tax certified?
Warranty Deeds, Land Contracts/ Assignments and Master Deeds required a tax certificate from the Treasurer’s Office. Please check our “Recording Requirements.”

Will you record a copy of a death certificate?
We will record a County Clerk certified copy (with embossed seal) of a death certificate.

Didn’t find the answer to your question?

Call the ROD office at (231) 348-1761 or email us at



Construction Lien Act

Michigan Uniform Commercial Code

Mortgage Fraud

MAC (Michigan Association of Counties)

State of Michigan

MARD (Michigan Association of Registers of Deed)

Emmet County, Michigan
200 Division Street, Petoskey MI 49770
(231) 348-1702 | Contact Us