Emmet County Corrections/Jail Division
The Emmet County Correctional Facility currently has a capacity of 103 beds. The inmate population consists of male and female, sentenced and non-sentenced inmates, committed to the custody of the Sheriff for civil, misdemeanor, or felony charges.
The correctional facility operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, with staffing of a Jail Administrator, four sergeants, thirteen correction officers, and a variety of support staff and volunteers. Our primary goal is to run a secure facility that is safe for both staff and inmates. The correctional facility is governed by the Michigan Department of Corrections Administrative Rules for Jails. Our facility has been recognized as being in compliance with these rules from 2003 – 2014.
Visitors must be on the inmates approved visitors list to visit. All visitors must be 18 years of age to visit with the exception of minor or step children accompanied by an adult or guardian that is on the inmate’s approved list. Please bring valid identification.
General Visitation Day: Saturday
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Family Visitation Day: Thursday
1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (By appointment only)
Each inmate is allowed only one appointment for a family visit. Family members must call to make an appointment prior to visiting day. Visitors are not allowed to visit both Thursday and Saturday.
Visitors involved in the following will be placed on permanent visiting restrictions:
- Improper or lack of identification
- Not signing the visitor log or using false information
- Swearing, arguing, excessive loud noise
- Visitors attempting to introduce contraband into the facility
- Court orders prohibiting contact
The goal of the Corrections Division is to obtain the most effective inmate programs and services at minimal cost, if any, providing for a more productive transition for the inmates return to the community. Most of the programs are provided to inmates by community volunteers. The following is a list of the programs and services available to inmates:
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- Substance Abuse Education
- Spiritual Counseling/Church Services
- Bible Study
- Project Unity For Life
- Work release
- Work crew/Trustee
- Medical Services
- Mental Health Services
- Thinking Matters
- Cash or money orders (no personal checks).
- Family pictures (limit 5 – no larger than 4″ x 6″).
- New pre-packaged white underwear, tee shirts, socks, or thermal underwear.
- Bible (soft cover only).
- Books, Magazines and Newspaper Subscriptions
- Inmates are allowed to have books and magazines mailed to them direct from an approved local book store or internet vendor. Newspaper subscriptions must be delivered or mailed direct from the publisher.
- The approved local book stores are: Horizon Books, McLean and Eakin Booksellers, and Between the Covers. Orders for books will only be accepted by telephone.
- The approved internet vendors are: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Schuler Books, and Walmart.
- NOTE: No hard-covered books will be accepted. Inmates may not receive books, magazines, or newspapers dropped off or mailed by friends or family. The Emmet County Correctional Facility reserves the right to inspect and refuse any property dropped off or mailed to the facility.
The only items accepted at this facility via the mail are: letters, postcards, five photos (no larger than 4″x6″), money orders, and legal correspondence.
All incoming mail will be opened and inspected for contraband. Letters and/or envelopes decorated or sealed with lipstick, perfume, glue, stickers, or items deemed inappropriate will be placed in the inmate’s personal property.
To send mail to an inmate housed at the Emmet County Correctional Facility use the following address:
450 Bay Street
Petoskey MI 49770
Telephone access is provided to the inmates from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily. All calls are outgoing collect service only. Phone cards are available for purchase at the facility. Incoming calls for the delivery of messages to inmates will be accepted for emergencies only.
The Michigan Crime Notification Network (VINE) is a free, confidential 24 hour telephone service that allows a victim to check on the custody status of an inmate in a county jail and to register for automated notification when an inmate is released, transferred, scheduled for advanced release or work release, or dies. Victims may register for this program by calling 1-800-770-7657.
Visit online at www.govpaynow.com or call 877-392-2455 to post bond using a credit card. You will need the PLC (Pay Location Code) number for the specific court:
|5281||Friend of the Court|
Visit online at www.govpaynow.com or call 888-604-7888 to use a credit card to pay housing fees. The required pay location number for housing payments is 5108. * Service fees will be assessed based on payment amount.
You can also deposit money to an inmate’s account online at callcenter.smartdeposit.com or by calling Access Corrections at 866-345-1884. *Service fees will be assessed based on deposit amount.
Correctional Facility Annual Report 2015
Correctional Facility Annual Report 2014
Correctional Facility Annual Report 2013
Correctional Facility Annual Report 2012
Correctional Facility Annual-Report-2011
Correctional Facility Annual Report 2010