Deputy Director of Equalization & GIS
POSITION: DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF EQUALIZATION & GIS
SUPERVISOR: EQUALIZATION/GIS DIRECTOR – COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR
DEPARTMENT: EQUALIZATION & GIS
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
Under the supervision of the Director and/or County Administrator, performs and oversees technical work requiring extreme accuracy in the preparation of County Equalization reports. Oversee and assist the management of all GIS projects. Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Equalization Department and the GIS Department.
- The person holding this position may be called upon to perform any or all of the following essential functions; including, but not limited to:
- Monitors daily activities of staff to ensure timely completion of all appraisal duties to complete equalization reports and studies by statutory deadlines.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of GIS interactive mapping programs and all new projects.
- Supervises and trains appraisers and clerical staff as necessary.
- Supervises GIS and support staff engaged in processing data for mapping programs, transmission of internet data and assessing data for area Assessors.
- Oversees work schedules, goals and department team member activities. If requested, approves team member time off and maintains time records.
- Assists Director and/or County Administrator as requested in hiring and disciplinary actions.
- Examines and analyzes relevant market data information.
- Oversees the analysis of sales and study samples.
- Directs staff in the development of land values and economic condition factors.
- Directs the analysis of each class of property for every municipality in Emmet County for equalization purposes.
- Reviews staff appraisals for accuracy and consistency.
- Assists the staff and unit Assessors with field inspections of complex and difficult real estate properties and provides assistance with assessment administration issues and property tax laws.
- Supervise the auditing of municipality assessment roll data.
- Ensures that staff is properly certified and continuing education requirements are fulfilled.
- Assists the Director and/or County Administrator with the development of the annual budget for Equalization and GIS Departments.
- Assists the Director and/or County Administrator with the development of the annual County Equalization Report and Apportionment Report.
DESIRED BEHAVIORAL TRAITS:
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public, local Assessors and County Departments.
- Communicate effectively at all levels and in a variety of media.
- Work productively and under pressure.
- Interpret and explain department policies and procedures.
- Solve problems within the scope of responsibility.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Reliable and predictable attendance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the Michigan Equalization process, Michigan General Property Tax Laws and assessment administration.
- Knowledge of BS&A Equalizer Software and Apex Software, Excel and Word
- Knowledge of Emmet County Interactive Mapping Program, ESRI’S Arc MAP and GIS database development and terminology.
- Ability to supervise, direct, teach and motivate department team members to accomplish the goals of the department.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively with the public, elected officials, and fellow team members.
Bachelor’s Degree in public or business administration, accounting or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Five years of experience in the field of assessment administration as a MAAO. Prior supervisory experience is preferred. Two years of experience working in Equalization and GIS.
- Michigan Advanced Assessing Officer (MAAO) certification as an Assessor by the State Tax Commission must be held and maintained for continued employment.
- Certified as a Michigan Personal Property Examiner by the State Tax Commission.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Driver’s License.