Birth Records

Who can request a birth record?

Birth records that are less than 100 years old are confidential and certified copies will only be issued to the following parties, pursuant to MCLA 333.2882 as follows:

  • The person named on the record * Individuals under the age of 15 cannot request a copy of their own birth record
  • A parent named on the record 
  • A legal guardian of the person named on the record. With your application you must include a certified copy of the court-appointed legal guardianship papers. Custody papers are NOT acceptable when requesting a birth record. 
  • A legal licensed representative of the person named on the record. You must include with the application a letter having your official letterhead stating who you represent. 
  • An heir if the person on the record is deceased. A copy of a birth record can be released to an heir of a deceased person, but you must state your relationship to the person, the decedent's name at the time of death, and date and place of death. 
  • A court of competent jurisdiction that supplies a court order.

To obtain a copy of a birth record, you will need to:

  1. Complete the Application for Birth Record in its entirety. This must be done by the subject of the record, one of the parents named on the record, a legal representative, legal guardian, an heir, or pursuant to a Court Order. (MCLA 333.2882) If Registrant is deceased, then please indicate date of death, place of death and relationship to the deceased.
  2. Sign the Application 
  3. Enclose a copy of a valid driver's license or State ID. *Record will be mailed to the address on the ID only
  4. Enclose a Money Order or Cashier's Check payable to the Emmet County Clerk. 
  5. Fees - The cost is $15.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for each additional copy of the same record if ordered at the same time. 
  6. Faxed requests are NOT accepted. 
  7. Your request will be fulfilled within 3-4 business days upon receipt of request and all required information.

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the Clerk's Office at (231) 348-1744.

If you need an expedited birth record, please contact the State of Michigan at (517) 335-8666 or on line at